Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Kreativ Blogger Award

Okay, this is my first blogging award so I'm a little speechless right now. First of all, I'd like to thank the academy.  And, of course, Adam for bestowing this creatively spelled award on the death writer blog.  There are two K's in my name, so I like the way it's spelled.  Adam made it really special by saying in his award's post that people hand out these blog awards like HPV at a frat party, but I still feel pretty darn special. There might be a gyno trip in my future, though.  Okay, so here's the award.  It looks a little shabby and should probably be redesigned, but it's my precious, so who cares?  Looks aren't everything.


In order to accept this award, I've got to do a few things...
1.  Thank & link back to the person who nominated you.  (Been there, done that.  Next!)
2.  Answer the ten questions. (I'm gettin' there.)
3.  Share ten random facts/thoughts about yourself  (Yeah, yeah, yeah.)
4. Nominate seven worthy blogs for the Kreativ Blogger Award (Share the love like a chain letter!)

Okay, here we go...
1.  What's your favorite song?
Um, like at this very moment?  That's a ridiculous question and I'm going to give you an equally ridiculous response.
2.  What's your favorite desert? (Hey, that's how it was spelled and I'm a stickler for details.)
The Sahara.  But, if what they really want to know what to serve at my party, that would be molten chocolate cake, which I make really well.

3.  What do you do when you're upset?
I like to work out when I'm mad, so I make it a point to really piss myself off every morning by standing under florescent lighting in my birthday suit.

4.  Which is your favorite pet?

I have two.  Violet and Judy and I would never pick favorites.  Could you?  Look at them.  They're both adorable and snuggly!

5.  Which do you prefer, black or white?
Well, I pretty much always dress in black, so I'm going to go with black.

6.What is your biggest fear?
Spiders.  When I lived in SW Colorado, we had these gigantic furry spiders called "Wolf Spiders" that lived around our house.  I told my husband that if one of those things ever set foot in our house, we were moving back to California.  I'd post a picture, but I can't even look at them without getting freaked out.  But if you are into that kind of thing, check out Kim Hosey's photos.  She loves spiders.

7. What is your attitude mostly?
This is another ridiculous question, but here I go.  I'm pretty mellow most of the time, especially while listening to The Carpenters.  But I have been known to be a tad neurotic and prone to social anxiety.

Ten Random Facts About the Death Writer

1.  I actually do like the Carpenters and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
2.  I like to write letters.  Remember those things that used to arrive in the mailbox and were handwritten and there was a stamp on the outside?  I write to inmates.  They are wonderful letter writers.
3.  My husband and I are both the youngest of five children.
4.  I wanted to be a criminal psychologist until I did my internship at the Hall of Justice orchestrating family visits and phone calls for the felons.  Most of them wanted to date me.
5.  My middle name is Jo.
6.  My father is a professional poker player.
7.  My favorite place in the world is the library.
8.  I love going to see movies but I like to be the first person there so I usually arrive about an hour early so I can claim my seat in the front row with a railing in front of me to rest my legs.
9.  I'm six feet tall.
10.  At about 16, I developed a white streak in the front of my hair.  Now it's pretty much all white, but I dye it because one time when I let the streak out, my son's friend said, "Your mom looks like Cruella DeVille."  Nice.

Okay, so here's the peeps I'm gonna nominate for the Kreativ Blogger Award.  If you choose to accept this HPV laden statuette, follow the rules and wash your hands afterwards.  I am not sending my awards out to these people because I don't want them to feel obligation.  But if they happen to find this and it's a happy surprise, they can run with it.  I'll bring the hand sanitizer!


22 comments:

  1. Oh my, a definite happy surprise! I'll put mine up later in the week. I just did one today for the Versatile Blogger award. I am doubly blessed today. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your award! I also love Close To You, and still get choked up whenever I hear it! Cute line about the desert, and you're much prettier than Cruella! Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Karen Carpenter has/had one of the most beautiful voices and it's pretty sad the way she died.

      Delete
  3. Death Jo Writer, loved by inmates, feared by spotted puppies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adam, I may have to put that on my business card.

      Delete
  4. A lovely surprise and I will attend to it in the morning. No hand sanitiser needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations Amanda. You also get the brave blogger award for being my guinea pig.

      Delete
  5. Very cool re-design of the Kreativ Blogger award. Your cats are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I didn't redesign it. I think it needs to be redesigned:)
      Thank you, they are adorable!

      Delete
  6. Nice job!

    It would be hard for me to pick a favorite desert :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, picking a favorite desert was difficult because I've been to so many. Plus, I have a plethora of fond memories of each of them, so it was a tough race.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the nomination, Pamela! It's an... interesting award. Still, an award is an award and anything that gets me more publicity is just the thing I need right now as I release the paperback edition of my book.

    Desert... it'd have to be Wadi Rum, I reckon. Not very sweet and hard to get on a plate though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome!And good choice on the desert.

      Delete
  8. Hey! Cool! You are certainly crazy, though, to nominate me. I got nothing these days. I have to be silent in all parts of my life right now. It's the only way I can get to the next step. As soon as I can be other than silent, I will accept the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, don't feel obligated. It's just a silly "get to know me" post. Yes, I am totally crazy. I had a volunteer appreciation breakfast to go to this morning at my kids' school and I totally forgot about it and I rsvp'd and everything. It's the last two weeks of school and I've got a writer's conference to go to this weekend and I'm trying my darndest not to create expectation, but I always do and make myself nuts.
      No worries.

      Delete
  9. Excellent answers, and facts. I love the Carpenters too. My dad introduced me to them.

    I personally think it's cool that you've got a white streak in your hair. You'd look like Rogue from XMen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And thank you for also bestowing this award on me!

      Delete
  10. Molten chocolate cake? What IS this phenomenon? I need it in my life... care to share the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in Paris with my Mom the first time I had it and it changed my life. It's a small little chocolate cake that is all melty and gooey in the center. It's something you have to eat straight out of the oven.
      http://leitesculinaria.com/3196/recipes-warm-soft-chocolate-cake.html
      You have to have the ramekins to make them, but it's worth it. It's one of those desserts that really knocks people out when you make it. Really good.

      Delete
  11. Aw geez, thanks, Pamela! I completely missed this because I've been in transit and not keeping up with my blog reader, but I came looking for your Mary Roach post and was pleased and delighted to see you picked lil ole me! Gosh.

    Also, I kind of love that you're six feet tall. You've always seemed like a badass. This cements it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for bestowing the "bad ass" blogging badge. I think you need to design it! You know what? I didn't answer all 10 questions. I am so not observant sometimes. I've had a few things occupying my mind lately, so if you want the full list of questions, they are on Adam's blog. Geez, I feel lame for not putting them all on there. Or I could look at this way--kreativ license.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome and appreciated!